Happy City contributed to the ‘Closing the Distance Between Us’ report which was commissioned by Eden Project Communities Big Lunch team and published in March 2019.
The report identified a widening gap in the relationship between people and their neighbours that is damaging our mental and physical health and reducing the ability of communities to cope when crisis hits.
The report found that:
- More than half of the UK feel distant from their neighbours
- 1 in 5 people in the UK have never spoken to their neighbours
- A fifth have no-one in their neighbourhoods outside their immediate family they could call on if they needed help or support
- 76% believe people were closer to their neighbours 20 years ago than they are today
- Three quarters believe it would be better for our communities if we were closer to our neighbours but the same proportion feel there are barriers to doing so